Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Snake oil salesman

I picked up on this story from a blog. It's pretty scary. A company based in Illinois is selling a kit for $275 that can determine your baby's sex with a few drops of mom's blood.

They claim 99.9% accuracy and double the money back if incorrect.

Yeah right. I'd like someone to explain to me how the mother's blood can determine the child's sex. The only thing I'm aware of that the mother's blood can do is form antibodies in a case of Rh factor (she's Rh negative, father is Rh positive, child is Rh positive).

Perhaps there's hormone levels in the mom's blood that are different if you're carying a boy or girl. But I think that'd take more than a couple drops to determine.

The developer of this test won't release information until he gets a patent. But I couldn't find any relevant publications in his name.

If you must know the sex of your baby, try ultrasound first. The new 4D images are much better at figuring out what's in between the legs (if your baby will allow for such a scan). If you TRULY need to know, go with an amino. Or just be like my best friend - "either one is fine with us; I don't want to know". (Nothing wrong with that.)

BTW: Here's an article about the controversial Baby Gender Mentor test you can read here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home