Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Only the beginning?

Wow, this is scary. If you are not interested in reading for yourself, here's a brief summary:

A girl in Vietnam was caring for her brother who was suffering from bird flu. She was never in contact with birds, but still fell ill (rare person to person transmission). Virus isolated from her showed an amino acid substitution of the neuraminidase protein. The drug Tamiflu acts on the neuraminidase protein, and this substution makes Tamiflu essentially usless.

I can't find the supplement information. Perhaps it'll be up in a couple days. So I can't see their evidence of how the girl became ill, or what eventually happened to her brother. That's my major gripe about Nature publications - short articles followed by 20 pages of supplements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home