Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Best service ever

Part of the enjoyable stay at the Phoenix Hilton resort was the service. Yes, there were the door openers, bell hops, etc. But the service I'm raving about is a waitress.

Our first night there, we walked down to the "Point in Thyme" restaurant. Lots of dark wood panels. We decided since we were a bit underdressed we'd have our dinner at a table in the bar area.

We order drinks first. Italian margaritas for me.

Then we start going over the menu. The only appetizer I can have is a shrimp cocktail, so we decide to pass (one shrimp cocktail is pretty much like all the others). I am interested in the veal with a sherry sauce.

Waitress brings drinks, asks if there's questions. I ask if there's flour in the sherry sauce.

"This is our new menu, so I don't know. But I'll go ask."

I start looking for Plan B. Sure there's just steak, but it'll pretty much be like any other steak. The only other possibility is the rack of lamb.

She comes back, and said that the sherry sauce was reduced with flour. She then asked why I cared.

Boyfriend immediately chimed in "She can't have gluten."

Waitress immediately recognized what I was talking about and said that her father in law has the same problem. So I order the lamb with a side salad. Since I don't want the dressing bottles to be brought out to me, I just asked for oil and vinegar.

She rushes off to put our orders in (boyfriend also got lamb). She comes back a minute later - "You didn't want croutons on the salad, right?"

Oh, duh. I always forget that part. "Sorry, about that. No croutons on the salad."

She brings out the salad a moment later. She said that she had talked to the chef, and found out that the lamb was crusted with breadcrumbs. But the chef would make mine without breadcrumbs.

Now, we are both impressed. The menu said only that the lamb was herb crusted, nothing about breadcrumbs. And she caught it, and fixed the problem for me.

The lamb was wonderful - even without the breadcrumb topping. The carrots were a bit undercooked, but still edible.

We paid for dinner, and left a hefty tip. I even filled out a very positive comment card.

It was a great start to a very enjoyable trip to get away from it all (if only for a couple days).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home