Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Middle of the road

I hate how politics seems to be "us or them". Here's some political issues and where I stand:

Guns - let there be guns. Better yet, it'd be legal to shoot dumbasses that start wildfires by throwing out their cigarettes on the highway. I don't own one, but I have fun shooting boyfriend's when we go camping in the middle of nowhere.

UN - a good concept long lost to politics. Nuke it and start over.

The Middle East - nuke the whole area. Whoever wants it after that can have it.

Gitmo - I'm happy the Supreme Court said that military tribunals are illegal. I thought the President saying "try a small percentage in military tribunal, the heck with the rest and the Geneva Convention too," was a bit over the line on Presidental powers. Then again, I have issue with declaring war on terror too (like the war on drugs or obesity).

But what about the "high value detainees" that aren't in Gitmo or in Saddam's jail?

Global warming - stop the denial. We're toxic to the environment. If another contributing factor arises such as a major volcano erupting, that will just compound the issue to a potential disaster.

No, I haven't seen the Al Gore film...

Mexican immigration - I might switch affiliations to independant just to vote for Goldwater in the primary. The son of Barry Goldwater is taking a lot of flak for saying that anyone caught sneaking across the border will be put to work in "tent cities" at the border and have to help build the wall. Bravo.

But Goldwater Jr. is a lawyer by trade....

Government spending - the deficit worries me. What worries me more is the amount of funding to the NIH is almost as bad as during the Reagan years. Not to mention NASA cutting their research budgets. Which eliminates our two biggest sources of support for running the lab.

Illinois governors - I was appaled that Ryan commuted the death sentences of every person on death row in his state. Then I see that the new one is mandating HIV testing for all babies if the status of the mom is not known. I think this is invasion of privacy, but more laughable since HIV tests in babies isn't reliable until they're at least six months old (if the baby was exposed a birth, it'll take some time to develop viral titers and antibodies). Then there seems to be a new scandal involving corruption on the local level every year there. What a bunch of wackos.

Since I was born there, I guess that's not saying a lot about me....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home