Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Monday, March 06, 2006

do ALF and PETA still matter?

Before I came to the University, ALF took credit for an overnight attack on a building that housed animal research. Several labs were damaged, and projects ruined by the "liberation" of animals.

Every year since then, we'd be dragged out of our labs for an animal rights security meeting. The lockdown week would be announced, as well as sharing any intelligence the police department had on animal rights activities in the area. Usually around the third week in March, they'd hold a vigil on Thursday night on the grounds where I work.

Two years ago, the campus newspaper reported 11 whole people showed up for the vigil.

Last year, the campus newspaper didn't even have an article about the vigil. There was some confusion about the actual date, which could explain the lack of publicity. We still locked down, but again, nothing happened.

This year, there wasn't even an annoucement of an animal security awareness meeting. I'll ask my animal breeder what she thinks if I see her today.

But it looks like the ALF helped build the coffin for animal rights awareness. The attack began pounding the nails in. I can understand the lack of willingness to associate with a group that initiated such an unprovoked attack. It would have been a prime time for PETA to step in, but they did not.

PETA's more concerned with stopping recreational fishing. I wonder how they feel about sport fishing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home