Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Try reading Slate Magazine....

With my iPod and iTunes 4.9, I'm ready for listening to podcasts. I subscribed to Slate Magazine's daily podcasts. It's mostly stuff that makes you go "hrm".

However, I just read on their website an interesting story that had an ironic ending. The article was discussing what happens to doves released in symbolic events such as the anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing.

Anyway, the article ends with:

In 2002, the organizers of a 9/11 memorial event in New York City tried to hire white doves from a professional release company. When they discovered that all the local homing pigeons were booked up, they bought 80 squabs from a poultry market in Newark, N.J. But on the day of the event, the young pigeons could barely fly; some never took off, others crashed into buildings, and at least one drowned in the Hudson River.


Probably too much information, but it did make me snicker a little. Not because the poor birds, but the desperate attempts New York City went through to try and have a dove release. Look where it got them.

I see more lightning building up to the east. Last night we had 1.5" at the University. Doubtful we'll have a repeat, but the storms might wake me up again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home