Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Happy dance

She must have heard my chanting. The phone rang a few minutes after I posted.

Had a nice talk with her, but the signal faded in and out so I didn't get all the info.

But I told her I was moving to the area, read the criteria for the trial, and would be interested. "On paper," I qualify for the study. So she's sending me all the info to my new address.

I asked her some questions. It's an interesting premis that I had not heard about before. For some reason, celiacs have increased levels of this secretion protein. I can't wait to get the name of this protein and do some research. But the medication is to block this protein.

The other good news is that it passed Phase 1 clinical trial. So I know it won't cause some sort of metabolic shutdown that puts me in the ICU. I'm always a bit nervous about blocking proteins when we don't know if it'll cause problems elsewhere in the body.

There's a gluten challenge involved. I'll have to get the "fine print" of that information. Does it mean that I can get whatever I want, or will it be tightly controlled amounts of gluten provided by the doctor.

The bad news:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
It's only a two week trial. If I get a free pass for gluten, then I have only two weeks to have whatever I want. There's three weeks of screening and follow up care afterwards. Then that's it. The clinical nurse said something about re-participation, but the call was going in and out, so I'm not sure on that.

Should I make a list now in case it's open range on gluten? Or would that be even more crushing if it's measured amounts of gluten from the doctor?

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 18:29 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    yeah, i'd wait. but that's just because with my luck, it would be measured amounts from the doctor, or none at all.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home