Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Vodka notes

Yes, people on the celiac listservs claim that distilled liquors are gluten-free.

Yet, when I ask them if they've specifically tried the liquor in question, I hear chirping of crickets.

I tried Smirnoff when I was still having diet control issues. I had a reaction. Don't know if it was the Smirnoff, since I was informed that it is made from corn, but not willing to try again.

When I was at Picazzo's Restaurant in Scottsdale, I was looking over their gluten-free menu. I got to their drink section. They listed their gluten-free beer, ciders, and their martini list with Chopin vodka (a potato vodka). I went back to the regular menu, and their martini list said they're made with Sky or Smirnoff.

The owner of Picazzo's went over the gluten-free menu with a dietician from ASU. I don't know what this proves or disproves. I just thought it was interesting that even those that are striving for gluten-free foods and drinks don't use Smirnoff or other distilled spirits, but potato vodka.

It makes me feel a bit better in justifying the cost of buying potato vodkas.

And speaking of potato vodkas, when boyfriend and I were browsing AJ's, we were compelled to check out their liquor section. It's kinda nice that they have a resident expert who's only job is to answer liquor questions. And boyfriend noticed that the Teton Glacial Potato Vodka was on the shelf. He picked up a bottle, and was stunned at the $23 price tag - which is $5 less than he pays for it at BevMo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home