Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Friday, August 04, 2006

Serial paranoia

I don't get it.

Finally when last weekend's shooting in the Phoenix area was linked to a serial shooter did it start to make national headlines.

An early morning arrest and search seems to have captured the two responsible. So far, 24 cases have been linked to the same two resulting in 18 wounded and 6 dead. It seems to have started last May, but increased in frequency the last few weeks.

The last few weeks it's been difficult to avoid local media coverage of this serial shooter. Mostly they focused on how scared residents were, and how the Guardian Angels were on patrol.

The problem with this case is that there's a 20 mile range of confrimed victims. Living in that area are thousands of people. The odds that you'd be the next victim are very small.

Another article in today's paper talks about how since last May 8 children have died when they were run over by their parent driving a SUV. Do the math, and that means that more people have died in the same amount of time.

So why aren't the Guardian Angles camped out on the driveways that have an SUV to make sure innocent children aren't run over by a driver that can't see them.

I've seen lots of stories on serial killers. It seems that everyone in the area of the killings are afraid that they're the next victim. Perhaps it's also because the nice stranger they bumped into on the street could actually be the serial killer.

I don't get it. It seems very irrational to me. I can't wait to ask my coworker about this today. She had asked if my parents are scared of the serial shooter. (Don't worry, they live another 20 miles away from the trail of carnage.) I think we should be more worried about children getting run over by SUVs in reverse than a serial killer.

Someone care to enlighten me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home