Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

No pity here

Since I used to ride a motorcycle, I might as well toss in my two cents about Ben Roethlisberger.

Looks like he'll be able to play again after this accident. It didn't seem to badly hurt his hands or arms but instead his head and jaw took the brunt of the damage. At least he'll be able to hide in a helmet on the field if he's left with scars.

I don't understand how anyone can ride without a helmet. I was wearing glasses at the time, and people would tell me it had to do with how my glasses sit on my face that gave me the impression that you can't see without a helmet. I think it's a lot of crap. Especially the morons pushing 85 MPH on I-17 on Saturday, it has to be difficult to keep your eyes open enough to be a defensive driver.

Second, Roethlisberger was warned several times by various football people to wear a helmet or stop riding until he retired. The Steelers should have had a clause in his contract that if he screwed up his arm or hand in a motorcycle accident, he voided the contract.

If you ride, you're very likely to get involved in some sort of accident. I got into three. The first two I escaped with road rash, but picked the bike up, and rode off. The third time, I didn't get road rash, but I broke my wrist from the force of the impact of hitting the ground. I was wearing my helmet in all three incidents, and after I broke the wrist I was thankful the helmet protected my few remaining brain cells.

A motorcyclist who doesn't wear a helmet better be prepared for the consquences. For some guys they feel that if something happens, it happens. But Roethlisberger has obligations NOT to get his brains squished on a road leaving him a vegetable. It was very irresponsible of him, and he deserves a decent bitch slap for it.

In Roethlisberger's accident, it wasn't his fault because a car turned in front of him. But a defensive rider would anticipate everyone else around you being stupid and protect yourself to survive their episode of stupidity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home