Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

a bit too late, but....

I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work today. I needed some ingredients to do something with some watermelon a co-worker gave me. Granted, this is an old store and their produce section is very small, but I was shocked to see that fresh corn on the cob wasn't available. I also couldn't find fresh parsley.

Even watermelon is getting to be out of season, but here's something I discovered you can do with watermelon that is just yummy. Boyfriend's dad cut the recipe from the San Diego newspaper, and I made it up for the clam bake we had over Memorial weekend. Their measurement of ingredients was sketchy, so I just made it up as I went along.

Take a small purple onion and cut into quarter moons. Put in small bowl, and add the juice of 1-2 limes to the bowl. Set aside and let soak for a bit.

Cut up watermelon (remove seeds if necessary) into bite sized pieces. Cut as much as you're willing to put up with and put in large bowl.

Cut a block of feta cheese into small squares (the small bite sized pieces). Cut as much as you would like.

Add black olives (I perfer medium, but we used the giant ones Memorial weekend).

Chop up fresh mint and parsley. Enough for your taste - it's good with the mint, so go from there.

Add the cheese, olives, mint and parsely to the big bowl. Now add the onions and juice. Gently toss with your hands.

Serve. Enjoy.

P.S. Save yourself the headache and get a seedless watermelon if you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home