Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

My other rant for the day...

When I heard last week about the violence in Somalia and of the "secret" US backing of the anti-Islamic warlords, I thought it made sense since we're fighting a global war on terror. Some of the battles won't be in the evening news, but if the US can prevent Islamic militants from taking control in Somalia, that's one less safe harbor for terrorists.

What confuses me is that there's rumors that some of the warlords that are getting US support today are the same ones that fought and killed troops in 1993 during the infamous "Black Hawk Down" fiasco. If it's true, it's a slap in the face to those that fought there (and those that died). And I thought that BinLaden had funded some of the warlords that fought the troops in 1993.

If you know someone that has the special "Black Hawk Down" DVD, borrow it. I can't find it in the stores anymore, but I have it. It has wonderful commentaries, and several television episodes on the "Black Hawk Down" episode. The one produced by the History Channel is where I learned a lot of the background, and the fallout from the incident.

In that episode, Mark Bowden is in it a lot. There's a quote that still sticks with me today:

"Anything that can be accomplished by guns has been done in Somalia."


It's too late to take up all the guns and RPGs from that country. So they're just going to keep killing one another until there's nobody left. Which is a shame - especially since the warlords that are fighting the Islamic fighters are getting more guns from the US.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home