Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Excel rantings

In this latest run of graph frenzy, there are a few things that really bug me about Excel.

First is when I created a graph template of how I want all data sets to look like. Even had the fonts and graph size set to how I want it to look. Load new data set, and I have to spend a few minutes resizing the graphs and resetting fonts. Trust me, it's much easier to just copy the one perfect graph. Then paste (repeatedly), and change the source data.

If there are error bars in the data, and that gets saved into the graph format you're screwed. The reason is because it can't figure out to refer to the next cell for the error bars. What it does is put the value in its place. Uh, no. Again, I'm learning to save the graph format, then add the error bars. I had to go back and put in the referenced value in a couple graphs because I had forgotten about that error bar thingie and it looked like there were no error bars because the original value was so small.....opps.

Then I ran into an annoying problem. I have a lot of data here. The lot of data needs to be looked at in several different ways. Which means, there's a butt load of graphs being generated. I would try and copy a "perfect" graph and paste so that I could just change the source data.

"No new fonts can be loaded onto this worksheet."

WTF? Someone suggested that even though this is office for OSX, to close the other worksheets if I didn't need them at that moment. Fine, a couple more pastes later, got the same thing.

Quit the program, reload the file (it's only 570KB). Could get a couple more pastes in before the error cropped up.

So I had to break down my massive data worksheet by each treatment. The reason I avoided this was because if some values have to be reanalyzed, and re-entered, they will have to be redone in FIVE worksheets now.

I couldn't handle it when I had to replace data in three worksheets without a major breakdown. And I even screwed up the third so I quit partway through and focused on two worksheets.

Speaking of which, I better take care of that third worksheet that I started to fix, then screwed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home