Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Just when I can drink beer again

Figures. Now that there are a couple gluten free beer options, people are predicting the demise of beer as the popular drink of choice.

Have these people ever gone to a bar? It's 90% beer, 8% mixed drinks, 2% wine (and 0.01% water).

This is coming from someone that drinks quite a bit of wine. Yes, I have other options for consuming alcohol, but wether it's vodka, amaretto (yes, I love those sours), beer, or wine, I drink more wine than anything. And with you getting drunk for fewer calories, I'm going to stay with wine for a while most of the time anyway. But here's why I think they're wrong:

Beer is more portable than wine. Yes, I brought three bottles of wine with me camping this last weekend with four wine glasses (real glass) and came back all glasses intact and three empty bottles of wine. But on the boat, I was drinking bottles of Redbridge (everyone else had cans of their beer). Yes, they offer the "glass sized" bottles of wine, but I don't expect many people to unscrew the cap and start chugging away. Plus, everyone knows whites are supposed to be chilled, which is a pain in the butt when you're in outside environments dealing with coolers.

The social pressure of bad vintage. I have had several occassions where someone swears by a bottle of wine that it's so great. And when I try it, I'm barely able to finish the glass. My first bad wine experience turned me off on wine for several years. I suppose that's interesting in that what's good for one person isn't floating the other person's boat (new compatability test?), but I don't see gatherings of people sitting around the game commenting about the flavor and tannins of the wine they're drinking. If anything will be said would be "great wine". I've been invited to some parties with pretty up and up guys and they're pushing a wine that I didn't like. Yet, I felt like having to say "great stuff". So it kinda eventually sours your entire preception of wine.

The limited nature of wine. While some consider that a plus, it's a real bummer when you develop a love for a vintage of wine. I used to never pay attention that much to the year of a bottle, but I remember once I fell in love with a 1999 vintage of a type of red. When I couldn't find that anymore, I tried the 2000 and haven't drank that label since.

The need to know. Kinda falls under the vintage thing. But if you have to more research and updating information than a Windows machines needs patches, wine will be a short term interest.

The trendy problem. My "crazy" aunt is rebuilding a perfectly good home with all these great things such as a beautiful kitchen, 3 walled shower massage experience, and a wine room. So I asked her what kind of wine she was planning on putting in her wine room. "We don't drink wine, so nothing. It's for the resale value." Every new home seems as if they're putting in a wine room or at least a wine fridge. And just like the backyard bomb shelter, I don't see how it'd be a lasting trend in housing.


But if I'm wrong, beer will eventually make a comeback just because most of us don't want to do what everyone else is doing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home