Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

My job sucks vent

My job really doesn't suck that much. I'm just having a bad boss day and need to vent. Finally comes in around a half hour ago. Ask him if he received the paperwork to renew a grant yet since it's close to the point of no return.

He said "No, did you?"

Me: "Why would they send it to me? I'm not the PI."

Him: "But I did get the second quarter progress report."

Me: "Finally. Remember we got yelled at four months ago for not submitting it. So they sent the second and third quarter reports, and we mailed them together since the third quarter was due in a week."

Him: "No, I don't remember that."

Me: "They should be in your files. I made you copies before I sent them out."

He doesn't seem to grasp this concept. He starts mentioning that he'll do the quarter report. I gently suggest that it's been done already.

I then get chewed out for "not listening". So I promptly just shut up and leave the room for a minute.

Come back, and he's forgotten completely about it.

Then on his way out, he says he's going to call the other granting agency to ask what the hold up is on the funding award notification. I discussed this with him yesterday, and he didn't seem worried at all, and told me not to worry for another week.

I know people with brain tumors can have these shifts in personality from moment to moment. But for the sake of my blood pressure, don't bother coming in and yelling at the rest of us when we're trying to help here.

Plus, running on fumes tends to set me a bit more emotional. I know it's not his problem. But when I look like "hell" (his words), maybe you can save the chewing out for when I look better.

Too bad many scientists can't be self-employed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home