Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Holiday musings....

Okay, this is basically to bring up the various aspects of how this holiday will suck now that I really do have celiac.

Most likely the last year of the family tradition of a Polish Christmas dinner I'm going to skip. Why - my grandmother's cousin graciously offered to prepare the dinner (always on the night of Christmas Eve). I don't think the news of my celiac has trickled down to her (hey, when you have a big family it happens sometimes). And I really don't want her to have to make a separate spaghetti for the meatless spaghetti, cook separate fish fillets that are not breaded (or using gluten-free breadcrumbs). So the only thing on our traditional dinner that I could eat would be the egg and potato soup.

So I'll be with my boyfriend and our matchmakers. Don't know what the Christmas Eve dinner will be (pizza as far as I know). Then it'll be a Christmas dinner without the stuffing, and gravy. But after two Thanksgiving dinners this season, I'm getting used to it.

To thank us for putting up with clueless visitors wandering the halls, moldy air intake filters, air handlers that frequently break down, and autoclaves that are down more than they are functional, the college is offering us a free lunch. I will probably go and get my pass today just to get something I can eat. Based on the menu on the flier I can have turkey and mashed potatoes (no gravy), cranberries, and I'll try and eat the cheescake without touching the graham cracker crust.

Then our department is having a holiday lunch as well. Lunch itself will be catered, and the rest is potluck. I asked them where the lunch is coming from (as it will factor into my decision to go or not). They said it hasn't been decided yet (great). So I'll bring rice krispy treats and caramels that I can eat, and my coworker will make merigene cookies that I can eat. So if the catered lunch is italian, I'll at least get something to eat.

But there's always something lurking out there to get me. This last weekend, boyfriend's father offered me a Bloody Mary with potato vodka. I never had a Bloody Mary before, but thought the ingredients were okay. It was made a bit too spicy for my liking, and I only drank half. The next day, it was obvious something was causing a celiac flare. After coming out of the bathroom (again), I saw he was making another for himself, and saw a bottle of horseraddish on the counter. I picked up the bottle, and saw the dreaded three words in the ingredients:

"Modified food starch"

I asked if this was in my Bloody Mary, and he said that it was. At least I figured it out. My legs itched like crazy, but only have one decent sized DH lesion on the back of my right thigh from this incident. But until the antibody levels go back down again, I'm so tired and puny feeling.

Perhaps this weekend, I'll get to try the gluten-free gingerbreak cookie recipe I found. If I can only find freezer paper *grrr*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home