Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

blood boiling

I know that being 75% Polish, I inherited quite a bit of temper from various relatives. I'm trying to think about this rationally and calmly, but having a difficult time with it.

First, I read that Bush is comparing the war in Iraq to WWII. Okay, I admit that I didn't find anything in quotes except for "war on terror", but we've already shown that Iraq had no connection to Bin Laden, and could not attack any country with biological or radiological weapons. Here's part of the article, and then I'll explain why it bothers me so much:

He said that as in the time of World War II, the United States now faces "a ruthless enemy" and "once again we will not rest until victory is America's and our freedom is secure."

Uhh, Iraq was not about to attack ANYONE, let alone the United States. Yes, Bin Laden's terror network is a ruthless enemy (anyone willing to die for their cause is a force to be recognized). But again, what does Iraq have to do with this, except PROMOTING the cause of the enemy. The first insult for them was when Saudia Arabia allowed western troops to enter their holy lands. Now, we appear to them to have no regard for their lands by essentially invading Iraq.

Did the normal speech writers take a month long vacation too, leaving Bush to write this speech for himself?

Then I read this summmary from the president at the same location:

They looked at our response after the hostage crisis in Iran, the bombings of the Marine barracks in Lebanon, the first World Trade Center attack, the killing of American soldiers in Somalia, the destruction of two U.S. embassies in Africa, and the attack on the USS Cole. They concluded that free societies lacked the courage and character to defend themselves against a determined enemy… After September the 11th, 2001, we’ve taught the terrorists a very different lesson: America will not run in defeat and we will not forget our responsibilities.

I don't agree that his assessment. If anything, these organizations have shown they can still operate with impunity to our forces, and that we ARE still vulnerable.

I'm going to have to end it there - there's a diabetes symposium that I figure is a good way to kill an hour and still look productive

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home