Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

dumb luck or just quick to clean up?

Okay, I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but any two cents about why would be appreciated.

Drive in the desert parts of Arizona for any time greater than 30 minutes, and you'll come across them. A grey bird walking in front of your car. Just when you think it'll get past your car in time, it turns around and walks back towards your car.

Then at the last second it flies away. And your car doesn't have any grey feathers stuck under a tire.

We call them kamikazee quails. Stupid creatures.

And now that the babies are out and about, they do the same thing. But they are very cute little balls of fluff that I misidentified as a bit of debris blown on the street yesterday. Luckily, I didn't end up with any fluff balls stuck to my car (just bugs).

But I was wondering about these stupid creatures. I never see any quail roadkill. Sure, rabbits, coyotes, and other birds, but no quail. Are they just destined by God to NEVER to get run over. Or is there always a bigger carnivore nearby that knows how tasty quail can be and quickly takes care of the recently departed grey ball of feathers?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home