Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

But can you call it pizza?

One of my guilty pleasures is pizza. Always has. And thanks to a couple Canadian companies, I still can enjoy pizza. I had been using Arrowhead Mills gluten-free pizza dough. But having to make the dough was a pain, thus pizza was an infrequent treat. While I just can't call and have it delivered. But then I get to put as much as I want to on it....

My first gluten-free pizza crust I bought was from Kinnikinnick. 7" premade pizza crusts. Although there's no instructions on ideal temperatures, I found that baking at 350 for about 10 minutes does the trick. It's pretty good. I don't taste anything that screams "hi, I'm gluten free, can't you tell?" So far, I've only made pizzas with it, but someone on the listserv likes to coat with butter and cinnamon sugar for a desert. I could see that as being yummy.

The second gluten-free pizza crust I bought was from Glutino. Again 7" pizza crusts (how come I never see anything premade that's larger than 7"?) Again, no instructions (darn Canadians!!) so I baked it like the Kinnikinnick ones. This is a crispier crust. Which is a nice change of pace. But it has that stiff gluten-free taste to it when you chew it. Plus it created all these fine crumbs that made a bit of a mess. Then during the baking process, it tended to bubble up in the center, spilling cheese on the drip pan.

So in order of my absolute favorite to least favorite:

Arrowhead Mills mix.

Kinnnikinnick pre-made 7" crusts.

Glutino pre-made 7" crusts.

I guess I'll still have to make the mix as a treat every now and then. It's the closest I've found to a typical pizza crust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home