Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Monday, January 09, 2006

cat musings

Don't even ask how the appointment went this morning, I don't want to talk about it.

There's a few discussions about the alpha cat behaviors in multi-cat households. I think with mine, Magnum wins the alpha cat rule simply due to his large size. Adira gets her point across though by simply meowing repeatedly until she gets her way (or she gets munched on by Magnum).

So I take the wussy approach to management. I have a LitterMaid self-cleaning box so they don't have to share (and thus pee in inappropiate places. They are quite used to it, and will wait by the box sometimes. I wonder why, until the cycle starts a minute later, and they happily jump in. There's no dummies in this house.

I also bought two placemats for their treats. Originally the treats were Adira's thing, but now Magnum's taken a fancy to them. I give them the Friskies seared filets out about every other day or so. When Adira thinks it's time for the food, she will not let up until I give in (or go to work). So I set out a plate for each, and each impatiently waits by their placemat (yes, they have a preference).

Then there's silence except for the sounds of snarfing. When Adira's had enough for the time being, Magnum will go and sneak a few bites from that plate, then return to his plate and finish snarfing.

It doesn't matter which flavor of Friskies I put in front of each cat. Magnum has to check them both out.

So does that make Magnum the alpha cat, or just a big bully?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home