Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

the Playboy returns

Okay, call it creepy. Call it strange. Call it whatever you want (I'm still trying to think of the most appropiate word).

When my best friend and I started college, I was living in a co-ed dorm, and she chose a female only dorm. (She liked that her dorm room had its own sink.) There was this guy that lived in my dorm that I'll call the Playboy. Sure I thought he was cute, but of course he was interested in my best friend and his roommate had an interest in me (that I didn't share back).

Anyway, Playboy dated my best friend a couple times than broke it off with her. She says he cheated on her, and we agreed he was a loser.

Fast forward a few years. I move to a different dorm the next year, and never hear what happened to Playboy. Best friend moved up to Phoenix area. I graduated from the University and started work in a lab. Then kind of out of the blue, I get an email from Playboy. He was working as a pilot, and wanted to take me to dinner sometime when I was in Phoenix.

Best friend and I were not in frequent communication. I mentioned to her that Playboy wanted to take me out for dinner, and she went a bit nuts. She warned me that he was a big loser, and I shouldn't waste my time, he'll just use me etc. I think in part I accepted the dinner because I was mad at her for saying that, and I thought she was a bit jealous.

By this time, I was having to take heavy doses of anti-epileptics and pain medicine to get by. I had one margarita with dinner, and got sick afterwards. I remember that it was an okay date until that happened. I mostly remember the humiliation and embarrassment of getting so sick after one drink. Since I didn't hear from him again after that, I figured he didn't want anything to do with me. Fine, I didn't invest anything into it, and I got a free dinner (that I threw up). No harm, no foul.

Best friend kind of tried to say "told you so". Which pissed me off more. I didn't feel he used me in any way, I didn't have my heart broken, no sexual relations, so no big deal.

So we stopped talking for a few years. Then we got back in touch with one another just before she got married, so I went to her wedding. We got more in touch with one another since then. And she set me up with her husband's cousin - and I so thank her for doing that!!

Now that I've spilled the entire history of the Playboy that dated both of us, there's a reason for this. I get an email today from the Playboy. It was sent to the address listed in the phonebook search. So he must have done a search for my name in the University directory and decided to email me. I'm honestly surprised since I didn't remember his last name. I double checked the headers, and it was sent only to me.

It was a generic email. He said he just turned 30, and was just getting in touch with "old friends" (*laughs*). Had a change in carreer paths, working in the valley. etc. etc. He left his phone number - I don't know if he is seriously expecting me to call him or not.

Too bad I'll eventually tell him that while I'm touched he still thought to contact me after all these years, I'm happily committed in a relationship. Perhaps I'll tell him over a dinner.

I did send a reply back. Didn't say anything informative - happy he found a line of work that he seems happier with, etc.

Talk about your blasts from the pasts - my boyfriend's going to love this.

Now if only my college friend that I emailed this week would get back to me.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home