Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Warning to the privacy minded consumer

Okay, over a year ago (probably around 15 months ago), I signed up for an Albertson's shopper card. At the time, that was the closest store to me, and I resisted for as long as I could. But it was inevitable that I had to get one if I wanted to save some money.

First of all, I'm kicking myself for using my primary e-mail address. I must have done so in a brain dead moment because I have two other addresses that I use for such purposes (one work related, the other non-work related).

Then about three months ago, I'd get an e-mail once every 7-14 days with a reminder "Football season is starting - get your tailgating supplies here" or such crap. Most of that crap, I can't even touch with my celiac, so I don't care to know that I can get Wheat Thins on sale. I'd scroll down to the bottom of the e-mail to find the "Unsubscribe" link. I'd update my preferences to not receive e-mails. I'd then get a page that said "Your preferences have been updated."

I didn't think anything the first time I did this. The second time I did this, I made a mental note. Then low and behold, I got another e-mail from Albertons this AM. Fortunately (for them), below the unsubscribe link was a contact number. Within about five minutes, I talked to a live person and told him to make sure they stop sending e-mails to this address, or it's going to go to a higher authority because I have zero tolerance for "harrassing" e-mails.

There, I now have a record of this in case next week I get a reminder that the perfect munchies for fall sweeps is now on sale at Albertsons.

You've now been warned - don't give up your e-mail address to Albertsons or related stores because it's a bitch to get the e-mails to stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home