Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

It was only a matter of time....

I used to go to Vegas quite often (back in the good old days where you could get an internet airline special on Southwest for $33-39 each way). I haven't been since the weekend after 9/11.

Since we flew most of the time, if there wasn't free transportation, or it was within walking distance, we hoofed it. We made frequent trips on foot between the Aladdin and the MGM as well as the area between the Venetian and Mirage, and other such areas. And yes, I noticed on several occasions, how close we were in walking to the main strip.

So I wasn't too terribly surprised when I read about this accident involving a car running up a curb and mowing down pedestrians. I guess I'm surprised that it took this long for it to happen. The last line of the article is what gets me:

"The speed on this road is just too fast," said Farmer, a police officer in Canton, Georgia.


Even the weekend after 9/11, there was so much traffic on the strip that it's impossible to go very fast. I remember at the worst of it, it could take up to an hour to go from the MGM Grand to Freemont Street.

It's high time the city of Las Vegas invests in some sort of barrier to protect the millions of pedestrians that walk their streets every year.

(Too bad they can't do anything about the dumbass pedestrians that cross streetlight intersections when they don't have the right of way.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home