Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Friday, August 19, 2005

Get me a lawyer - I want to sue too!!!

Okay, not really. But that was my the first thought that came into my mind when I first heard about the troubles with COX-2 inhibitors. Mostly because I had been given Celebrex for a couple years because it was helping control some of my atypical trigeminal neuralgia. After that, I was switched to Vioxx, but I think I was only on that for less than six months because it didn't seem to help my pain at all.

While it was being prescribed by a neurologist, I did have to disclose that I have family history of heart troubles (mostly atrial fibrillation). But if my doctor was aware of potential heart trouble related to COX-2 inhibitors, I wonder if she would have still prescribed it.

Personally, I think that the pharamaceutical companies overlooked the risk that COX-2 inihibtors, and possibly accelerated the FDA review process. While I haven't looked at the preliminary studies, I wonder how many people used in the initial studies were senior citizens. That was the population most likely to be taking COX-2 inhibitors, and have an increased risk of heart trouble before even taking the medication.

The timing couldn't be better considering "The Constant Gardener" will be in theatres in a couple weeks. I do think the pharamaceutical companies made billions off the COX-2 inhibitors, and possibly should compensate for potential deaths related to the medication (after all, the tobacco companies had to). But 1/4 of a billion dollars is extreme, and will be reduced on appeal (after all, Merck will always have money for lawyers).

The biggest irony of all this is that the news program that I'm watching that had the Merck settlement as their first story aired a Merck commercial during the break. "Merck, putting patients first."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home