Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Monday, May 23, 2005

Hey, my first blog from home! Came home to find that my dishwasher flaked on me (again!) and only half the dishes are clean, the rest have a crusty residue on the outside. *sigh* So, I have to rerun it tonight.

Adira is driving me nuts!!! I'll start posting some pictures soon. Her biggest problem is that she comes howling into the room where I'm at (most likely looking for attention). But she has some sort of ADHD; you start petting her, and she starts walking around making it like petting a moving target. The worst of it is when she does this at 3:00 AM. The first thing she did this AM was that she sneaked around me when I watered the plants. Then she ran around, stalling me from leaving for work.

On top of everything I've been through, my doctors are pretty sure that I have celiac disease. Basically means that you're allergic to wheat products. This allergy causes antibodies to attack the wheat products in your small intestine. Until product labelling becomes more specific, you're essentially screwed. The reason: Modified food starch (it could be modified corn or wheat starch), and is in A LOT. Also malt flavorings or colors is a "no-no". I miss drinking coke (it was my afternoon caffeine rush). I also miss just grabbing a burger when I felt like it. A burger without the bun IS NOT the same! Okay, I miss drinking a Guiness every now and then too!

So, I'm gradually accepting that conveince food is out, and making my foods at home. I still am searching for a decent bread recipe (so far everything I've tried tastes too heavy). I found an excellent apple cake recipe, that my co-workers couldn't tell there was no flour. I also have a peanut butter cookie that is very good (especially with a jelly spot on top). Tomorrow, I'm going to try a chocolate cookie recipe.

For someone that only baked cookies, pies, and cakes for special occasions, this transition is tough. The biggest problem is time - if I bake a loaf of bread, the breadmaker takes three hours, then a couple hours to cool. If I have a long day at work, I am forced to leave the bread in the maker to cool as soon as it's done. I think that contributes a bit to the early staleness. After all that, then the kitchen needs to be cleaned up from my latest "adventure". It is honestly hard to work up the energy to do all that after a long day at work.

Okay, enough babbling! The season ending of "24" is almost over. Unless something shocking happens in the next 15 minutes, it's been an okay season ending. Based on what happens before the commercial break, I think I have an idea of a cliffhanger....we'll see if I'm right!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home