Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Monday, May 23, 2005

To give a short moral on my adventure of buying a used iBook is this: NEVER buy the machine without a System disk. (Also, don't buy from ditzes who automatically login and forget their admin password!!) I spent a few hours reading up on how to get around my situtation. The fustrating part was that when booted into single user mode, and was at root, I could not get the passwd command to work. It'd sit there and think about it for about 30 seconds, then return me to the command line without anything happening!

I finally found a solution, though not ideal, worked. Booting into single user mode (again), I was able to delete the .AppleSetupDone file and change the name of the netinfo file. So when I restarted, it acted like a fresh system install, and I was able to setup a new admin account. Finally, I could install the software for my new scanner, printer, etc. as well as set the toolbar the way I wanted.

The bad news of all this is that there were a couple files on the old desktop that I kinda wanted. I could go into the hard drive and see the Desktop Folder of the old user, but I have no access privs to that folder. WTF!?!?! Okay, fine, I'll enable root user, and get to it that way. For some reason, I could enable root user in the NetInfo Manager, but I'd log out, and couldn't see any other users, so I couldn't log in as root. I guess I'll eventually figure it out - I spent too much gray matter just trying to get admin privs working.

Riding the elevators today has caused short episodes of pain. Perhaps it was because I was fortunate to be able to ride from the first floor to the sixth floor instead of stopping on every floor. Kind of a pain (literally), but I'm about to go to staff meeting, which will keep me out of the elevators for at least the next 90 minutes.

But before I run off to meeting, Will they find the Lost Dutchman mine? My Dad is a big believer in the mine, he must have about 15 books on the Superstition Mountains and the mine. He currently lives about an hour drive from the mountain, is retired, but has not made a trek out there since I was about nine or ten years old. I think the myth will not die easy - even if they do find some evidence of a mine out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home