Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Friday, June 29, 2007

flourless summer

I came across this recipe from Gluten Free Mommy. Since my sister and her family were coming over for burgers, I thought I'd give this a try. It's a lot of work, but well worth it. My brother in law complained about being full, but still ate his slice of cake.

I was able to slice this into 16 slices that taste like a chocolate marshmallow. Which is not what normally comes to mind when you think of a cake without any flour.

Cake Layers:

12oz bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
6 Tablespoons water (forgot this)
12 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Frosting:

2 cups heavy cream
6 Tablespoons powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons Grand Marnier
OR
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions
Grease 4 9" cake pans and put a circle of parchment paper on the bottom.

Melt chocolate with water (opps) in a double boiler. Cool to lukewarm.

Beat yolks, 2/3 cup sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl with electic mixer for about 8 minutes until light and stiff. Fold in chocolate and combine to just mixed.

Clean beaters and egg whites in the largest bowl you have until they just hold peaks. Add 2/3 cup sugar and beat to stiff peaks. Slowly add yolk and chocolate mixture a bit at a time and mix to completely mixed.

Pour into pans and bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes. I only had two cake pans the same size, so I poured enough batter to completely coat the bottom of the pan, and baked them two at a time. I kept the batter at room temperature. I cooled the layers on a wire rack.

The frosting was done by adding the ingredients and runnning the mixture until it formed a frosting consistency.

This was a perfect summer treat. It's not heavy, and tasted a bit like mocha. Yum.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home