Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mamma, don't let your iBooks power down

I had the biggest scare of the pre-holiday flight. I've been working on a progress report for the granting agency for the last couple of weeks. I finally am at a point where I can combine data from one of my collaborators and the flow cytometry data.

The night before last, I noticed that my iBook seemed a bit on the overheated side. I blamed the down throw that the laptop was sitting on because I was freezing cold. Then I noticed it was getting hot yesterday afternoon. So after talking to boyfriend last night, I shut it down completely.

Then to my horror, I bring it into work to finish the data and print it out. Plug it in, press the start button. Silence.

I unplug it, take out the battery. Replace battery and AC power. Silence.

Oh crap! This laptop HAS to turn on somehow or I spend Thanksgiving chained to a computer redoing all the data.

So I remove the battery again, unplug the AC power. I open the keyboard, remove the Airport card, remove the panel below the Airport card. And unfortunately, that's about as much as you can see under these puppies. I check the keyboard cable, made sure the memory was in the securely. Then replaced everything.

Fortunately, this time I heard the startup chime.

Okay, I didn't need that scare. And it's going to be in sleep mode from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home