Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

ethics in stem cells

I'm surprised that I am just reading about this now. For all the publicity this researcher got in the summer with his success in cloning, I thought the MSM was more interested in a fall from grace.

The irony is that when I first heard of the cloning success, my first question was "wow, how do they get that many women to donate eggs?"

I don't see a problem with this specific situtation. People contribute things for their work environment all the time. Sure this isn't a coffee cup, or decorations. But I understand the spirit in which their donation was given. Heck, I might have done the same if I was working in that lab.

For example, we are conducting a study on the effect of genetics in "training" immune cells to develop into Type 1 diabetes. We use blood from people that have Type 1 diabetes, family members that don't have diabetes, and regular people. There was never any pressure from any of us to contribute blood, though almost all have. I was exempt because of my crappy veins from all my years of IV's and blood draws. Still even though they are now interested in me because my DQ8 is screwed up due to my celiac I still have not been pressured to donate blood for research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home