Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

*thud*

Needless to say, I'm going to follow this story as close as I possibly can. Supposedly, a paraplegic has just been cured with cord blood. We use cord blood as lymphocyte precusors (cells that would have developed into lymphocytes), and grow them in cultures to add things such as nicotine, nicotine antagonists.

My biggest concern is that the vast resources of the University's electronic journals do not have access to this journal. If it is truly a study as groundbreaking as it implies, I would expect Nature Medicine, or Science. So I can't even get details of how the cord blood cells were introduced. Using cord blood cells also run the risk of graft versus host disease, (not as much as other tissues though), so I'd hope that there's mention of a cross matched person in the methods (but can't confirm it).

I'm going to follow this progress as much as I can. But for now, call it being cautiously optimistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home