Life of a former witch

I've outgrown my wicked witch of the west ways. Reflections of life afterwards, living in the desert with two cats, friends, family, and my hot and cold love life.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Border crossers for free school?

I heard about this story, and it annoys me on several levels. It involves children living in Mexico cross the border to attend free public school. I think it's only fair that non-residents pay for tuition, if you lived in Arizona, you'd be paying for school tuition. Sneaking across the border to get free school isn't fair to their quality of education (but I think that's the least of their worries).

But then Hispanic parents that live in Arizona compain that they're being singled out to pay tuition when non-hispanics are not. Therefore, it's discriminating against them.

Ummm, first of all 96% of the students in that school district are Hispanic. Therefore, if they can prove that the 4% non-hispanics are crossing the border to attend school, they have a case. Show me such proof, and I'll shut up and never bring it up again. Otherwise, it's not discrimination or an infrigement on their civil rights.

Hopefully this case will quickly be thrown out, and I can go back to enjoying some chai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home